One of the best things about winter is the implied necessity of shopping for a coat or jacket. This new armor against the elements has the power to transform you into a badass city warrior and, like boots, can be considered an investment without overt shame. Whether you’re able to sacrifice a month’s salary on a piece that will stay with you for years to come, or just want to painlessly add a cute item to your wardrobe, allow us to present a varied selection of options for every budget. From blindingly extravagant to frugal – here they are.
First up, the rather expensive Leather Forward Jacket by Rick Owens. I’m slowly coming to regard Owens as an arch nemesis, if only because of the intense, debilitating longing that floods my brain when I see his work. This drapey yet fitted number is from his Spring ’09 collection. Around $3,000 will make it yours.
Second, the sleeveless coat by No Editions. An architectural masterpiece, it makes me want to cry and beg. The grey, the gathered neck detail, the cold geometry of it all! Astounding, and all for $1,180.
Back on Earth, however, mortals do have some haute options even if we refuse to be ultra-spendy. Observe: a triumph of pleats and buttons! This fitted, detailed coat is just $160. It’s made of fleece, thus soft and warm, and the price won’t make you skip dinner for a month.
More attainable options, below!
- Short, no nonsense leather look jacket from Lip Service $133.35
- Its direct opposite, vinyl and lace Duchess De Sade mourning jacket $120.95
- For the minimalist: wool funnel neck coat from Urban Outfitters $99
- For the hipster-mod: belted peacoat from Delia’s [yes, Delia’s] on sale for $69.50
- For the bohemian: violet+black velvet brocade mini-coat from F21