The Creeping Museum is the nonprofit creative vision and labor of love conceived between two friends and a grilled cheese sandwich in a North Portland laundromat in the spring of 2016. Their remarkable mission? To help artists and independent creators give back to their communities by turning their strange and unusual work into tiny pieces of affordable art in the form of collectible enamel pins– for which to support wonderfully worthy causes.
The visionary creeps responsible for this collaborative venture involving spooky wearable art and a commitment to making the world a better place are Alyssa Glass and Layla Sullivan. “At The Creeping Museum,” they insist with infectious enthusiasm, “the gallery is you!” The Museum’s collection of tiny art can be found creeping on the lapels of art lovers from coast to coast and around the world, and each sale of these mini masterpieces benefit organizations such as Bat Conservation International, The Library Foundation, or The Worthy Pause, just to name a few of their chosen causes.
At the onset of their endeavors, and after reading concerns voiced by various artists in the dark culture community on Instagram regarding taxidermy and the devastating effect that illegal hunting has had on some bat colonies, Glass and Sullivan became inspired to support bat conservation for The Creeping Museum’s inaugural pin and first release. “We felt that increasing awareness of the taxidermy issue to hopefully dissuade people from inadvertently supporting animal poaching, is a simple way to actually make a difference, even if it’s on a smaller scale.” Glass also shares that the goal for The Creeping Museum is not solely to fundraise, but that “Awareness, advocacy, and education are an equally important part of our mission.”
On December first, The Creeping Museum continues their mission with the release of their most ambitious and highly anticipated collection to date: Beautiful Monsters.
“All the broken and shunned creatures…someone’s got to care for them. Who shall it be if not us?”
Perfectly embodied by Doctor Sweet’s poignant observation, Beautiful Monsters is a mixed media “exhibition” inspired by the night creatures of Penny Dreadful, and in support of the marginalized and forgotten.
The Beautiful Monsters collection includes the following:
– An enamel pin with art created by Anaïs Chareyre for The Creeping Museum
– A set of three pinback buttons with art created by Anaïs Chareyre for The Creeping Museum
– An enamel pin with art created by Emily Winfield Martin for The Creeping Museum
– An enamel pin with art by Alyssa Glass (pre-order)
– Antique and vintage books obtained from Penny Dreadful’s prop auction (each book comes with a bookplate featuring art by Caitlin McCarthy and a certificate of authenticity)
– Antique and vintage perfume bottles obtained from Penny Dreadful’s prop auction (each bottle comes with a certificate of authenticity)
– Reproduction penny dreadful magazines obtained from Penny Dreadful’s prop auction
– A custom Vanessa Ives inspired fragrance created by Sugar and Spite
In addition to the above listed items, The Creeping Museum is also hosting is a very special auction and offering various delightful surprises, the details of which can be found below:
The “Eviscerate the Patriarchy” auction package, with a portion of the proceeds donated to the Joyful Heart Foundation (sexual assault prevention, advocacy, and services for victims), will include the following:
– A stunt/safety version of Lily’s knife from Penny Dreadful Season 3, from the prop auction
– A book on witchcraft from 1884, from the prop auction
– A vintage compact from the prop auction
– A letter from Vanessa to Mina from the trunk in Vanessa’s room, from the prop auction
– A perfume bottle from the prop auction
– One of each of the three different penny dreadful magazines from the prop auction
– Elocution for Ladies, fake etiquette book pages created by Anaïs for Lily’s “makeover” scenes with Victor, from the prop auction.
– Blood splattered anatomical illustration from Victor’s laboratory.
– One of each of the art pins and buttons from the collection, and the Sugar and Spite perfume
– A Creeping Museum planchette designed by Fiendies
– “Divination” original art by Becky Munich
– An original “Verbis Diablo” page from Vanessa’s spellbook, the original drawing for the Devil tarot card, and a print by Anaïs Chareyre
– “Demimonde” fingerless mitts, inspired by Vanessa Ives, Victorian stitches, and hand knit by S. Elizabeth
Each of the prop penny dreadfuls will have a randomly-inserted tarot card tucked inside; the Death card will have a special Creeping Museum seal, and may be exchanged for a package of Fabulous Prizes:
– A second stunt/safety version of Lily’s knife from Season 3
– A letter from Vanessa to Mina
– A prop perfume bottle
– One of each of the pins and the perfume from the Beautiful Monsters collection
– A print of “Divination” by Becky Munich
The following organizations will be supported with this release:
– The Southern Poverty Law Center (combating hate, intolerance, and discrimination)
– Joyful Heart Foundation (transforming society’s response to sexual assault, domestic violence, and child abuse)
– The Alzheimer’s Association (care, support, and research for Alzheimer’s disease)
– Portland Rescue Mission: (food, shelter, and other services for people affected by homelessness, addiction, and abuse)
– Committee on the Shelterless (services for homeless families, adults, and veterans)
– Animal Heaven Animal Rescue Ireland (rescuing and re-homing unwanted animals)
– Bat World Sanctuary (wildlife rescue and rehabilitation)